WHAT ARE THE SDG?
In 2015, the United Nations (UN) adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. This Agenda has 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), ranging from education or women’s equality, to climate change or the design of more sustainable cities. El Cardón, through its corporate social responsibility policy, aims to be a sustainable company that actively and voluntarily contributes to the social, economic and environmental improvement of its immediate surroundings, the island of Tenerife and the planet in general.
El Cardón’s commitment
At El Cardón we want to evolve as a company by working towards the fulfilment of the SDG. Thus, and within what a company like us can do, we seek to promote the welfare of society and our environment with various actions.
GOAL 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
At El Cardón we promote healthy lifestyle habits with our experiences, from nature trails to the consumption of local gastronomy, ensuring the development, promotion and prioritisation of healthy tourism products and activities.
GOAL 6. Ensure access to water and sanitation for all.
Our team is strongly aware of the correct and efficient use of water. In addition, during the different activities we raise awareness among our participants about saving water and the importance of caring for water resources.
We also participate in and develop awareness campaigns for school children and the general public on the efficient use of water and how we can reduce our water footprint.
GOAL 7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy.
Energy accounts for 60% of all global greenhouse gas emissions, which is why our company is strongly committed to saving energy.
On the other hand, we do our utmost to reduce our ecological footprint from transport, so wherever possible we choose to consume local products, thus reducing our travel.
GOAL 8. Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all.
We actively participate in the training of new professionals related to the sector, providing facilities for them to carry out the practical part of their studies with us.
On the other hand, we produce most of our advertising materials with the Isla Baja Occupational Centre, a local entity with an important social purpose, the integration of people with disabilities.
Finally, we respect labour rights, with decent working conditions that favour the human and professional development of our workers.
GOAL 11. Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
At El Cardón we contribute to disseminating the cultural, heritage and natural values of our territory as an added value to the visitor’s tourist experience, making them aware of the importance of respecting, caring for and preserving them.
One of our objectives is to transmit through initiatives and projects related to tourism, local knowledge related to traditions and cultural heritage.
GOAL 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
We promote sustainable consumption and production practices through the enhancement of the value of local products and services, supporting the circular economy throughout the value chain.
On the other hand, we contribute to minimising the generation of waste and encourage the collection of any rubbish found during all our experiences.
GOAL 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
We promote sustainable mobility, encouraging the use of public transport and alternative mobility systems with zero or low emissions, such as bicycles.
On the other hand, in the company’s activities, we use natural resources and raw materials efficiently, using recycled materials, promoting reuse, reducing and recovering waste.
GOAL 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources.
At El Cardón we are aware that the activities and products offered in the marine environment, such as whale watching or other aquatic activities, can have a negative impact on the marine environment, so we are very careful when carrying out these activities, relying on professionals in the sector who are aware of the protection of the marine environment.
GOAL 15. Sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss.
At El Cardón our main social objective is the conservation of Tenerife’s natural and cultural heritage. We develop sustainable tourism activities and services that promote the respectful use of the natural heritage and transmit the values of the destination and its identity through the tourist experience.
GOAL 17. Revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.
Our company is involved in different networks and projects on sustainable tourism, such as the Charter for Environmental Sustainability. We also develop cooperation initiatives with academic institutions and other entities, whether public or private agreements, to promote innovation in the sustainable development of tourism in all areas. El Cardón is also a member of the association of entrepreneurs and professionals for the sustainability of the Isla Baja.
– Sustainable Tourism: Our activities take place in the main natural, rural and cultural spaces of Tenerife. We work for the conservation of the heritage of our island offering ecotourism services designed to value of its natural and cultural resources.
– Local Development: Our activities generates synergies with companies and professionals of the different spaces where they are developed contributing to the local development.
The principles of the social responsibility of El Cardón NaturExperience are:
- Have as main general social subject the conservation of the natural and cultural heritage of Tenerife.
- Respect for the environment avoiding as much as possible any kind of pollution, minimizing the generation of waste and rationalizing the use of natural and energy resources.
- Respect for labor rights, with decent working conditions (responsible hiring, occupational safety and health, fear wages, flexible hours and a adequate human treatment) that favor the human and professional development of workers.
- Creation of a store where the handicraftsman and local producers commercialize their products fairly, contributing like this to the maintenance of the traditional crafts of the region where our company is located.
- Involve our employees in a good corporate social responsibility practices.
- Make the majority of our advertising materials with Centro Ocupacional Isla Baja, a local entity with an important purpose, the integration of people with disabilities.
- Perform sustainable advertising, using recycled or chlorine-free paper of all advertising materials.
- Encourage the local development by contrating with companies in the region, the main services provides to our company: Transport, Insurances, Labor, tax and accounting advice, advertising, general maintenance, provision of merchandise.
- Hire as far as possible the staff of the region generating local economy.
- Comply strictly with currrent legistation on tourism and environmental matters.
- Maintenance of the business ethics and fight against corruption.
- Monitoring of the management of resources and waste.
- Review of the energy efficiency of the company.
- Correct use of water.
- Design and implementation of partnership and collaboration strategies of the company.
- Involve consumers, local communities and the rest of the society.
- Collaboration with social and environmental NGOs.
- Work to become a benchmark as a sustainable company.